Monday, September 17, 2012

Ypsilanti, MI - Wurst Bar; I always really enjoy a place that has a friendly atmosphere, good food, and culinary creativity. They took familiar food and helped spin them into new ideas, new flavors, while still being playful.

I wanted to try the whole menu but had to limit myself to pimento cheese dip, sweet potato tots, rabbit brat, rattlesnake brat, turducken brat, and PBR brat. Do I need to say that I was pretty full at the end of dinner? I do admit that I had friends there to help me with all of this food.

The pimento cheese dip was sized well with being small. Your getting ready to eat these brats that all come on pretzel buns, the last thing you want is more bread. They have a nice pretzel hard shell, soft on the inside and lightly salted. The cheese spreads and is deliciously creamy together.

The tots was a new idea and none of us had seen sweet potato present in this fashion. Extra credit for creativity. The crunch and taste is spot on for tots with the extra sweetness that all other servings of tots lack.

My favorite brat was the PBR that delivers a good snap from the casing and spices with the sausage. My least favorite award goes to the turducken, which wasn't bad, just not as flavorful as any of the others. I was mostly interest in the rabbit and the rattlesnake. Both were very good, all had the casing snap, but both of these are mixed with a variety of spices that cover the flavors of the meat. If your going to really try the unique flavors of the meat, you'll be disappointed. If your not adventurous and scared to try exotic meats, then they are perfect for you since they don't have strong flavors.

The brats can come with a variety of choices for toppings that include: marinated peppers, sautéed onions, and kimchi slaw. Ask your server which ones compliment your brat the best.

We finished with a sampling of mochi! A Japanese dessert made of rice cake that's made into a paste with ice cream inside. The serving size was small so it was difficult to eat with a spoon to cut it, so if you basically shoot it like a shot, it was the best way to go.

No comments: