Monday, September 17, 2012

Hamtramck, MI - New Palace Bakery; The D goes crazy when Fat Tuesday starts approaching. Stories in the paper, on tv, around the office, and among friends about where are you picking up puczkis. Or which bakery has the best puczkis. The debate goes on and on every year.

After years of having probably "fake puczkis" from bakeries and then finding that this place has the real deal, from the looks of the two hour line out the store and down the street on Fat Tuesday, I've come to a conclusion. I think I'll stick with the fake ones for two reasons.

1. No two hour wait and even if I preorder mine, which I did, I still had to wait 45 minutes to force myself ahead of everyone to get to the preorder line. I have to mention, when I ordered them, they said there would be a preorder line and if there is a line out the door, just walk right up and come in and say you preordered. Tell that to the guy two times my size who has been waiting for two hours in line and I walk right up, cut in front of him and say, sorry preorder. The looks I got, I could have been a guy on death row. Therefore, two hours or 5 minutes at a local bakery making puczkis not made in Hamtramck.

2. Density. This is what really determined it. Call me a fake puzcki lover, fake polish, what ever you want, but the fake ones, well, they are just better than these dense, brick-like donuts. The fake ones are light and easy to palette all that sugar.

Maybe puczkis are supped to be like that, its tradition, etc... Ok, well then I guess I just prefer the lighter ones than.

No comments: