Friday, December 28, 2012

Philadelphia, PA - Cafe L'Aube; On hopes of finding the little unique cafe that makes their own delicious almond croissants, I can't go wrong with a French name as Cafe L'Aube.  I arrived as their first customer that morning and ordered their Almond Croissant and Le Midi.

Since I arrived before they opened, I had the opportunity to look into their pastry case.  Their croissant was inside, waiting for the next customer.  Question: how long was it waiting though? I'm not sure when it was made, but it definitely wasn't made that morning or the night before. It had been sitting there for a little while, maybe a day or so. It didn't look fresh or taste fresh. It didn't have that buttery, flaky, crispy topping. It just had the soft outer shell to match the soft inside. Even more disappointing was that it didn't have any almond paste inside. Their version of an almond croissant, was toasted almonds on top.  This could have easily been the croissant in 7-Eleven on your way to work.

The Le midi, which is a crepe prepared with pears, maple syrup, and blueberry spread, was nice and sweet and crepe cooked well. It just too small. With any crepe, I'm expected one that can fill the length of a plate. This made it to a disappointing three quarters across. Even with it folded on top of itself several times, it was still barely an eighth inch tall. The flavor was good though and I would be willing to try one of their savory ones if I had the opportunity.

FYI...I wanted to get one of the waffles from the pictures, but they stopped making waffles. :(

No comments: