Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Detroit, MI - Mac Shack; Can you really change mac-n-cheese to really offer different and unique dishes? By looking at their menu, it sounds like they can pull it off even though the base of the ingredient is just mac-n-cheese. Well, they execute it and execute it well.

So far, I've tried their Dune Climber that includes artichokes, Garlic Parmesan Fries, Poutine Fries, I-80, Bacon Made Me Do It, and Kon San Road

So much to talk about each one, so I separated it into two categories: I'll Take Seconds and No Thanks, I'll Pass

I'll Take Seconds - Parmesean Garlic Fries: I would definitely order another round. They are nicely fried and crispy, but its the garlic that sets it apart. The minced garlic was plentiful and you could taste it throughout the whole order. Dune climber: the two elements that elevates the flavor are the artichokes and capers. The contrast of the acidity from the artichokes and the saltiness from the capers are an excellent balance. Kohn San Road: It has peanuts, bean sprouts, green onions, lime, cilantro, and sriracha. It's an excellent blend of texture, acid, and heat. I can order this one two, three, or as many times as I'm there. It's also lighter than the other dishes, giving it an advantage.

No Thanks, I'll Pass - Poutine Fries: although they are good, I wouldn't be ordering another. The gravy and the egg blend together well, giving it a smooth rich sauce. However, it's just too heavy. Even with sharing the fries, we didn't finish them. Bacon Made Me Do It: having apple smoked bacon, fresh tomatoes, and green onions. Bacon on anything is good and although this was good, I don't thing it's as complex as they hoped. The bacon gives texture and saltiness, but the flavor is still a basic one note. It didn't seem as good as the Kohn San Road. I-80 has beef brisket gravy, wild mushrooms, caramelized onions, fried egg. This is just a little over the top. The egg, mushrooms, and onions if left to only those ingredients would have been nice, but the gravy puts it over the top. It's too heavy with the gravy, egg and cheese. Not sure why they kept adding components, they should have stopped while they were ahead. I have to emphasize, it isn't bad or has a bad flavor, it's just too much.

No comments: