Thursday, August 09, 2012



Hamtramck, MI - Sheeba Restaurant; On my pursuit of the Bizarre Foods Detroit episode reenactment, Sheeba was on my list to try out their Lamb Kidney Sub. If you've ever been to the Middle East, well, save the plane ticket. When you walk in, you're transported to a small restaurant that could be easily mistaken for an Middle Eastern authentic place. It has the music, the tv shows, the clientele, and the FOOD.

I don't think there is any wasting of lamb in this place. If it's slaughtered for me to eat, why not eat it all right? We were not expecting to get Lamb Soup, just the Lamb Kidney Sub, but we easily were talked into soup by our server. How can I turn down Lamb Soup? It's one I've never tried nor heard. You can see that I can only imagine what parts of the Lamb are cooked in it, but it's definitely slowly simmered in the meat and bones. It has a deep meaty flavor of lamb, really to the point that you think you're cutting into a lamb shank. It's pretty oily, partly from the fat from the meat, but also I think olive oil. You can see from the picture, these wonderful pools of oil to add the heartiness of the soup.

We also couldn't resist the pita bread to dip into the soup. It's huge, really huge.  We had to include a hand in the picture just to get a point of comparison. It comes out HUGE and HOT. I'm not kidding on either point. It came directly out of the stone oven and almost burnt my fingers in trying to tear a piece off. Dip this right into your soup, oh so good.

The Lamb Kidney Sub arrived. The initial inspection looks like the kidneys are finely chopped and sauteed well done.  Not done well as it's perfect, but over cooked. It reminded me of when you cook bacon well done and break it up into bacon bits. They were very crunchy and some pieces were good presented this way, but most were too hard and tough to chew them. It's served on a nice toasted sub bun and mayo inside to elevate the sandwich a bit, but the star of the sandwich, the kidney, You only get a mediocre review.

I would stick with the bread and soup. I'm interested in trying several other options there. They have items on the menu that are not found in most places, so it's definitely worth another visit.

No comments: