Wednesday, June 08, 2011


San Antonio, TX - Guenther House Restaurant; There is a reason when you go to the Guenther House to get there before 9am, there's an hour wait. All the yelpers say to go before 9, and even during the week, it was still an hour wait.

If you decide to wait, go into their cafe to get a coffee and danish. They offer multiple flavor danishes, which are perfect for that hour wait while you sit outside on their quaint tables and grounds. When you're seated, you can choose to sit inside or outside in their covered tent. Outside was so pleasant.

We started with the black cherry strudel. I'm not sure if they make these inhouse, but whom ever made it, it made two very waiting hungry people happy until the table was ready. I moved onto another wonderful carb filled breakfast, one of their specials, almond pancakes. They were wonderfully sized, browned well, and cake with a delightful surprise of thinly sliced almonds cooked in the batter as well as in between each pancake within the stack. The almonds gave it a nice addition to the texture of the syrup soaked pancakes.

They also offer freshly squeezed orange juice that comes with delicious pulp floating in it. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Maureen said...

That looks wonderful. I really need to start looking at your blog after I eat and not right before I leave work for dinner. Black cherry strudel and almond pancakes with syrup sound divine.

Food Fanatic said...

LOL. I understand. I too always get hungry looking at all these pictures of food. Many of them, I wish I could go back and eat it up. :)