Wednesday, June 08, 2011


San Antonio, TX - Rasario's Mexican Cafe Y Cantina; I'm an adventurous eater and always looking for interesting places, but also interesting dishes that are not common. Rosario's accomplished this by offering some traditional Mexican ingredients not found frequently on menus.

The three items on the menu that were calling my name were tongue, tripe, and sweet bread. I've had tongue and tripe lots of times, prepared all different ways, but the sweet bread? First, if it's called sweet bread, you know it really has to be something else and they're afraid of disgusting people out. You certainly have my interest. It turns out, sweet bread can be used for several different organ meats, but in this case, it was thymus. I've never had the opportunity and I can't let this pass me by.

It is breaded and deep fried, similar to country fried steak. Eating it alone, it does have a gamey flavor, which may put some people off. I didn't mind it at all, but if you eat it with some of the rice or beans together, it really complements each other and the flavors work very well. It is very tender and cooked very well. I would certainly get it again without any hesitation.

Also to note, they specifically have a section for vegetarian fare. It has traditional dishes, but also unique entrees that vegetarians will find very interesting.

The place is nice in decor, clean, a large dining area with lots of tables with little wait time.

No comments: