Friday, May 18, 2007

Royal Oak, MI - Thai I've never had. Yum Voon Sen from Thai Express. I saw it on the menu and tried to recall if I've ever had it before. Once I opened it, I knew instantly that I had not. How exciting, new dish, not really knowing what to expect. Surprise, it was sweet and a stronger citrus flavor, which I didn't expect at all. One of the reasons I've never had it was because it was under the Salad section. I've never had a Thai salad. Why not try! It is made up of fresh silver noodles tossed with tofu or meat and in a lemon dressing. Ah Ha! Lemon Dressing. That was it that made it have a strong citrus taste. I would recommend it, I don't know if I would add this to my permanent repertoire, but it was still good and I enjoyed it. Enjoy!

4 comments:

motorfamilymotorcityman said...

OK, you're making me hungry. And you've inspired me to write about another beer, the one I had yesterday. Paulaner Hefeweisen ...

Question - is Thai Express the one on Lafayette?

Food Fanatic said...

This is the Thai House Express on Woodward at about 14 1/2.

Ooo, Paulaner Hefeweisen, yummy. I don't think I've ever had the hefeweisen. I've had Paulaner when I was in Germany, I rather enjoyed it! I look forward to your assessment of the beer! :)

Lee Seelig said...

Randy, my favorite Thai dish is usually listed under the salad section, but is filling as a meal. It called "larb," "larb gai" or "laab gai." ("Gai" is chicken.) It is spicy, ground chicken with pepper flakes and citrus juice, over a bed of lettuce, etc. Once, though, I got it with a quarter of a head of iceburg lettuce on the side. Strange!

Food Fanatic said...

Really? I've seen the dish but haven't ordered it yet. Alright, I'll get it next time. I always thought the name was pretty funny, larb. It sounds too much like lard! :)