Saturday, April 27, 2013

San Diego, CA - Soltan Banoo; My friend suggested Persian this evening and I was so excited since I don't think I have ever tried it before. I, like many, commit the flaw of making assumptions, which in this case, I admit I did. I envisioned the standard middle eastern fare: falafel, kabobs, hummus, on and on. What I ordered, really was so much better.

It took me a little bit of time to decide because they have a large menu. I finally settled on Albaloo Polo Tofu; includes basmati rice with saffron and cinnamon, sour cherries, pistachios, with a curry yogurt sauce, shirazi salad. This dish is packed with flavor. The saffron and cinnamon come through in the rice with this nice delicate flavor. The cherries are far from dried, they are plump and re-hydrated to give you that sweetness in balance. The biggest star here is the curry yogurt. That packs a punch, not in heat, but in flavor. It is full bodied in curry, but yet somehow they made it to where I would bet even the non-curry lovers would love it. The curry flavor is there without a doubt, but it's toned down. I highly recommend not pouring it onto the dish, you would lose the flavors of each component. The yogurt will over power it. It's best to dip your fork in, then take some food with it. This way, you get the saffron and cinnamon, sweet cherries, then this subtle deep intense curry yogurt flavor. Wow, it's a winner.

The restaurant is in a nice cute neighborhood, where we sat on their patio to enjoy the warm evening.

No comments: