Sunday, April 07, 2013

 
 
San Diego, CA - Indigo Grill; Can I go every night here? Maybe I can fly in once a month to just come here and eat. Upon a friend's recommendation who lives in SD, and knows what kind of foodie I am, I have to try this place out. I'm so glad she told me about this place and that I tried it. Problem is now, I'll keep drooling about it when I look at the pictures again.

Our server was really nice and helped to explain the menu well to our whole group of newbies to the place. The one thing that he mentioned was, "Be advised, portions are big, I'm not joking." We all laughed and but knew what he meant when we received just our soups! My soup wasn't a cup, or a bowl, it was a bucket! Serious, my "cup" of soup, could have been my dinner, but like a champ, I'm going to finish it and get ready for my dinner fit for a giant.

The Tortilla Soup has corn salsa, creme fraiche & tortilla strips. The soup has a strong and bold corn salsa flavor. That bold flavor hits you, but the heat really hit as well. It was spicy, which I wasn't expecting. The creme fraiche did attempt to put out the fires a bit, which it did mildly. I mentioned to the server its heat intensity, so he mentioned after our comment, he went in the back and tried it and thought it was a spicier version than they usually make. Someone had a nice heavy hand tonight.

My wife tried the Good Things Growing that had just about everything except the kitchen sink on the plate: indian corn pudding, baked whole butternut squash with bourbon-pecan butter, caramelized plantain, prickly pear salad, honey roasted garlic, flatbread, and pipian tofu with mole negro. It's a whole lot of food and flavors going on. I only tried a few pieces, but not of everything. She, a vegetarian, loved the dish and how she left really full. She normally leaves a place feeling comfortable because it's not hardy enough. This was not the case. She was a happy camper after this spread.

The Jalapeno Cilantro Papardelle arrived, which had prawns, roasted pineapple, red bells, chile butter and rajas. It's easier to start with what I did not like since it was a minor factor. The puree design on the plate was beautiful and artistic, but it should not be on the plate if it does not serve as an enhancement to the flavor of the dish. The same thought for the garnish as well. Trying the puree alone, had almost zero flavor. Adding it to a bite of pasta or prawns, added nothing as well. Too bad, it could have been that extra component that elevates the dish. As for the pasta, prawns, pineapple, and plantain, yum yum yum. It was a nice marriage of comfort, heat, and sweetness, that I wish it was a magical bowl where it refilled itself.

No comments: