Monday, March 10, 2008


Johannesburg, South Africa - I had the fortunate opportunity to have my flight canceled in Johannesburg and Air Malawi put me up for the night at their guest house. In addition, they took me out for dinner and went to a great seafood restaurant called Ocean Basket. The seafood is fresh and delicious. You can also see the English influence as well. I first started with some simple bread they bring to the table, but what is special is the minced garlic and jalapeno peppers that compliment it. It is very customary to smear the garlic and peppers on the bread, giving it a strong flavor with a kick. It was awesome and spicy! Then the main course is called the Seafood Platter that comes with prawns, squid, cod, muscles, and fries. The cod and muscles were prepared very well in a lite olive oil and garlic, but the best part of the dish was the prawns and squid. The prawns are always interesting to eat, especially when they look back at you. It has a delicious shrimpy flavor, but not as strong. I heard you can eat the head, but I chose not to. The squid was by far the best part of the dish. They were prepared to perfection; soft and packed with flavor. I ate every piece of the squid and wanted more! Enjoy!

No comments: