Monday, March 03, 2008

Blantyre, Malawi (Africa) - That's correct. AFRICA! I had the fantastic and unique opportunity to go to Africa, Malawi, and try some basic and common, but also unique and extraordinary food. Here's my adventure. This is the most common indigenous food in Malawi. It is called Nsima from a restaurant called Temptations. It is pronounced N-Sea-Ma. Usually you order Nsima with either beef, chicken, or fish. I ordered mine with beef. It also comes with a small vegetable, which they call a relish. The actual Nsima is the mashed potato looking mounds. Nsima is made of ground maize and water. It has very little to no flavor, but what flavor it does have, it is like cream of wheat. Not the most appetizing thing to eat. Which is my Malawians have the meat portion with the vegetable. The beef is prepared in a slightly curry tomato sauce and the vegetable sauteed and similar to a spinach/celery. The way to eat this is by taking a little piece of meat and little piece of Nsima. Then a little piece of vegetable and Nsima. Since the Nsima doesn't have much flavor, you get most of it from the other pieces. Even though the meat and vegetable is a small portion, the Nsima is not and it just expands in your stomach. Since not everyone has money and food can be expensive for Malawians, Nsima is a fast, cheap (around $2), slightly nutritious, but a very filling dish that people don't have to eat much of the day later. I was very glad I tried it and although I enjoyed it, I probably wouldn't get it again if I had other choices. Enjoy!

No comments: