Tuesday, March 19, 2013

 
 
San Diego, CA - Searsucker; Being a fan of top chef and in San Diego, i have to try Chef Brian Malarkey's Searsucker. Will he deliver my expectations from the show or fall short?

My first visit was for lunch and tried the Apple Pulled Pork: bourbon bbq/apple apple slaw, onion jam, baconnaise on ciabatta. There is a sweet and softness with a slight crunch from the apple slices. The BBQ sauce is and original. Hidden inside is caramelized onion compote that adds a nice element to the sandwich. The pork Is extremely tender and juicy and of course is the highlight of the dish. It stands out and either with or without any of the other elements, it would still be delicious. However, why add the onion shoe strings, which are lost in the flavor of the dish. In fact, if you try any of it by itself, you ill find that the onions do not bring any flavor to your palate.

The sandwich is served with a salad that was fresh, complimented with a thick drizzle of a reduced balsamic dressing that is quite nice. Is barely drizzled on the salad, but there is enough for the whole side. If there was any more of it, it would be too overwhelming. The salad is topped with fresh peppercorn and a dash of sea salt. That sea salt is really a nice touch to it. You get the saltiness along with the acidity from the balsamic together creating a nice dance.

The sandwich is served with a spicy and sour pickle. My reaction to the first bite, "What the...?" What is this? Second bite, "I'm not sure if I like it. I better take another bite to identify the flavors." I finished it and at the end, I still wasn't sure if I did. I asked about it and a server said that they make them in-house with a blend of spices and vinegar. I think I will tell them to hold it next time.

I returned that evening to try their "Cobb" salad that included pancetta, avocado, bleu cheese, and tomato. The salad is a salad and the only ingredient that makes it stand out is the pancetta. The pork belly is salted and cured well, tender, and has that fattiness to add the necessary flavor.

We finished off with the Artichoke Hearts Dip that has artichoke hearts, gruyere, and tomato. It was wonderfully cheesy and had the depth of flavor needed to be a good small plate.

No comments: