Thursday, February 09, 2012







Royal Oak, MI - Chow Catering; The best way to experience any food truck is at a Food Truck Rally recently held at the Farmers Market in Royal Oak, MI. Chow Catering was one of the seven to attend and we had to wait in line for about 30-45 minutes to just ORDER! Yeah, it's worth it! Almost every truck had the same line, but isn't the rule of thumb, if there's a long line, you know it must be good. Stay away from the short line right?


I went with a few friends so we could try multiple dishes and I'm so glad we did. We ordered: Cubano, Pork Belly Sliders, Beef Brisket Sandwich, and Wild Mushroom Pasties.

Starting with my absolute favorite was the brisket sandwich. This was perfectly marinated and pulled brisket, grilled pineapple, lettuce on Hawaiian bread. The brisket was tender, flavorful, but perfectly balanced with the sweetness of the pineapple and Hawaiin bread. I almost made my group stop eating it, just so I could take their portions. I could go for another around of this sandwich.

My next favorite, but it was almost a tie, the cubano. It was a traditional Medianoche (cuban sandwich), roasted pork, ham, swiss cheese, spicy mustard, dill pickel slices, on a pressed grilled bun. For a sec, I thought I was in Miami. The pork and ham was juicy (so many places over cook it and dry it out), just the right amount of pickels for flavor and texture crunch, and finishing with that lasting flavor of the spicy mustard. The brisket is a grandslam, but this is a three-run homer, so it's pretty close.

Surprisingly, the wild mushroom pastie past my expecations. I really didn't expect much on this dish and you wow'ed me. It was a mushroom pate, blended cheeses in a puff pastie with a mushroom bechamel. I was expecting a flatten pastie, dry, and one portabella mushroom in the center. I was wrong, I'll admit it. It turned out to be a delicious fluffy and flaky pastie and a wonderful blend of wild mushrooms and cheeses on the inside. It had a delightful earthiness flavor and featured the mushroom, but not over powering. Excellent balance.

The pork belly sliders I saved for last and wished I didn't. I had really high expectations for this one, but it really didn't meet expecations. I thought it was fine, but all the fat was removed from the pork belly, drying it out and taking away all the flavor. It was served with asian slaw with wasabi aioli, giving it some nice texture and the needed flavor that the pork lacked. Thank goodness for the slaw.

My order from favorite to least loved:

1. Beef Brisket
2. Cubano
3. Wild Mushroom Pastie
4. Pork Belly Sliders

I will find this truck on facebook and meet up where ever they are to try more from them. Hats off to the owners, chefs, and staff.

No comments: