Friday, February 24, 2012

Guay Teow Pad Prik Prow

 Gaeng Kheaw Waan

Spicy Rib

Bloomfield Hills, MI - Bai Mai Thai; I couldn't decide between 3 or 4 stars, but it could have been a 3.5. This a carryout only place, no sitting and eating unless its on the curb outside.

The only dish my wife likes usually is Pad Thai and she tried theirs, said Nope I don't like it and wont try this place again. I believe they flavor theirs slightly different from the most common places. I think it makes it just a bit more unique but my wife is a tried and true kind of person. I could try their Pad Thai again and really see if its unique or it was an off day. If didn't have strong peanut flavor like others, slightly more on the citrus with a flavoring I wasn't use to.

I've tried three other dishes here, Gaeng Kheaw Waan, Spicy Rib, and Guay Teow Pad Prik Prow.  The first was the Gaeng Kheaw Waan, a green curry base dish. I'm a huge sucker when it comes to coconut milk curry entrees.  I'll keep trying and comparing them, but I don't even want to know many calories are in the milk.  This curry dish was a lot more watery that other places. I was first surprised by the viscosity, but then I was caught off guard by it's flavor.  It still had all it's curry and coconut flavor and heat that other dishes typically have. Some how, they prepared it different with almost the same flavor outcome.  Well done Bai Mai Thai.

Spicy rib is on so many menus and I've wondered how good it was, why not try it and I'll finally have a base to compare other places.  I think they boil it before grilling it because the meat was very tender and came off the bone easily.  The flavoring was nice with a hint of smokiness.  The sauce was an additional winner.  It had that sweetness necessary for the ribs along with the heat.  The ribs by themselves were good, but the sauce made it much better.

Now the Guay Teow Pad Prik Prow, was the winner.  It goes onto my list, for now, of favorite Thai foods.  It makes the list because the sauce was very unique.  It didn't have the traditional brown sauce, or peanut, or curry, etc... it had it's own flavor.  So many Thai dishes reuse the sauce in so many dishes making them blend together.  However, this time it was in it's own category.  It's really hard to describe and I'll just have to get it again to see if I can nail down the flavors.

No comments: