Sunday, April 17, 2011




San Antonio, TX - Little Rhein Steakhouse; This definitely wouldn't have been my first choice to try with a vegetarian, and as a omnivore, it isn't mine either. Inside is nice and cozy, while the outside is very nice on the river, it's the food and prices that lose me.

If I'm only going there to have a steak, then maybe I would generous with my stars, but I tend not to only order a steak for dinner. I mean only a steak.

Lets start with the Texas Stew that accompanied our meal. Not bad, similar to an appetizer chili. Okay Little Rhein, you're off to a good start.

Now for the Iceberg Wedge Salad. Okay, you lost me. Doesn't your executive chef know how to prepare a salad? For $9, I get a half of a head of lettuce. Literally! It was a head of lettuce, stem chopped off, then one chop in half, then onto my plate. For $9, I have to do all the work in cutting this piece of lettuce too? There better be someone at my table cutting it up and feeding it to me also, but no. This alone I would have given this place one star.

Time for a little redemption, the Ribeye On the Bone. This is a no joke steak. It's seasoned well, basically salt and pepper, and was prepared the way I requested. I also had the sauteed mushrooms on the side complimenting the steak very well when eating together. My other observation about this steak, observation because you can't miss the thing, it's huge, HUGE! It could really feed two.

Moving onto dessert, Sticky Toffee Pudding. During their "presentation" of dessert, they said it was "one of a kind". Not so one of a kind when we saw it also on the menu at another restaurant and I have had better at home at another restaurant. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as original as they said it was.

I forgot to mention what's available for the vegetarian. Don't worry, you don't have to read much longer because it was a baby greens salad. That's it. It was the size of a side salad. Vegetarians stay away!

No comments: