Tuesday, January 19, 2010


Frankenmuth, MI - Not the best looking food pose, but it's the best I could do with it. Recently I was in Frankenmuth, a very neat little German town in MI and there is a very famous sausage shop called Kerns. It's a very well known place and I thought I would try something from there. They of course had a variety of cut meats, it's a standard butcher shop, but I saw Smoked Blood Sausage. I've only seen it on Bizarre Foods, but now that it's staring me in the face, I have to try.

Well, I tried it, and I don't think I'll be getting it again. The texture is slightly different from regular smoked sausage. It has a softer texture, but something you can easily palate. It does have a hint of the regular smoked sausage flavor, but what it does have the regular smoked sausage doesn't, is the ripe flavor of iron. The blood in the sausage gives it an irony flavor, one that becomes a bit too much for me. After eating half of it, I had to stop. I really couldn't eat much more of it. Sorry. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Brave man.
I must say, the sausage doesn't look very appetising. In the UK, there's something quite similar, called 'black pudding'. have you tried that?

Food Fanatic said...

No, never heard of it. I would certainly try it, but I really hope it has a better flavor than this. There are a few Vietnamese dishes that uses coagulated pigs blood in it. When I had that, I didn't mind it at all. I thought it was similar to tofu with only a slight irony flavor. I could do that again, but probably not this. If I get a chance and come across Black Pudding...I'll have to try it out! :) Thanks!