Sunday, April 26, 2009

Detroit, MI - An evening out at the Whitney, well, it's going to be a very elegant evening with excellent food. The Whitney is a beautiful restaurant in downtown near Wayne State University. The ambiance is extremely nice and the food is perfect to go along with it.

We started with the salad called Tree Fruit. It is apple satsumas, forelli pears, topped and bottomed in a flaky pastry, pecans, bleu cheese, some salad greens, and roasted shallot vinaigrette. It was an excellent excellent dish to start the evening. The apples gave a perfect citrus flavor, while the bleu cheese helped to balance the flavor and help mild down the citrus and vinaigrette.

My main course was the sea scallops on top of mushroom peared barley and butternut squash, deep fried peppers, and beurre rouge. I would rate the dish as outstanding! The scallops were cooked perfectly, the mushrooms and butternut squash balanced the salty flavor the scallops, the rouge sauce enhanced the flavor of the two, and the peppers added the counter-texture to the scallops that finished the dish off very well. I could get this every time I'm there.

For desert, I had apple and brown butter cheesecake, wrapped in phyllo, and topped with rum raisin sorbet. Texturally speaking, it is a perfect balance between the smooth cheesecake, crunchiness of the phyllo, and the icy-shaving of the sorbet. The taste was a home run as well.

I also tried the Sweet Pleasure, layers of chocolate cream hazelnut, chocolate ganache, and hazelnut anglaise. The chocolate was decadent, but I didn't prefer the hazelnut. I usually like it, but I thought it was too much and had a stronger nut flavor than it should. Presented beautifully, but I would get it again. Enjoy!

2 comments:

kerrnal said...

Did no one from the Whitney protest your use of a camera phone at the table? It's the WHITNEY!!! I would have protested. :-)

Food Fanatic said...

Nope! Shoot, Click, and Eat! That's my rule. :)